The calf is basically a fleshy muscle in the back just below the knee. The calf muscle comprises of gastrocnemius muscle and soleus muscle. Calf muscle helps you to move forward and have a forward movement during walking, running or any other physical activity. Calf muscle pain can be varied from one reason to other and are not similar to every person. The pain in calf muscle is sudden. The pain in calf muscle can be on both the side or can be related to only one side. There can be different symptoms and cause of calf pain. It can be cured in terms of home remedy or simple exercise, yoga and meditation. If the pain persists for more number of days, it is advisable and recommended to a physician or a doctor.
Also Read: Low-Carb Twice Baked Cauliflower
Calf pain can be classified into acute calf pain and Chronic Calf pain. Now talking about the acute calf pain and chronic calf pain in brief.
- Acute calf pain– Acute calf pain is the pain which is a minor nature in nature and persists for a short period of time.
- Chronic calf pain– Chronic calf pain is the pain which persists for a longer period of time.
Symptoms of Calf Pain:
- unpredictable coolness in the body
- Fluctuation in color in the calf. The calf turns out to a pale or light yellow color.
- Tingling sensation in the calf.
- Numbness in the calf and it directs the numbness and coolness in the whole leg.
- Calf pains give rise to the weakness of the leg.
- Calf pain direct towards fluid confinement.
- redness of the calf
- Warmness in calf or leg
- Feeling of tenderness in leg or calf.
Different causes of Calf Pain:
Calf pain is common and cannot be termed as a serious disease. It can be cured. But knowing the causes is utmost important so that further treatment can be done. The causes are mentioned below:
- Excessive workout– Gym freaks sometimes goes for an over workout. Overworking out body muscles sometimes becomes serious and direct towards strain and cramps in muscles and gives rise to the certain injury. In this scenario, calf muscles are more prone to injuries as it is a sensitive part of our body. This can be a factor which may lead to calf pain.
- Bruise– Bruise is otherwise referred as a contusion. It describes the past trauma or any other surgery in the calves or calf muscle. The capillaries become weak if an individual has gone through a surgery in past and it can pop up below the skin and cause a change in color of the skin. The bruise disappears on its own. This again can be a major cause for pain in the calf muscle.
- DPN (Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy)– Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy is basically a damage to our nerve cells. It can occur if a person has high blood pressure. This diabetic peripheral Neuropathy can give rise to muscle cramps or muscle strain along with sharp pain and weakness in muscle and a person feeling sensation vanishes. He/she cannot feel anything. The muscle cramps and strains are the primary or first stage of calf pain and it makes the calves heavy along with swelling constraint.
- Excessive pressure builds up in the or inside the muscles– If more amount of pressure is absorbed in our calf muscles or leg muscles, it gives rise to numbness along with pain in calves. If you have an injury in your calf tissues or you have a broken bone with respect to calf muscles, there is 80 per cent chance where the pressure is formed in the particular area. As a result, it gives rise to calf pain or difficulty in calf muscles.
- Blood clot-Blood clotting is a process where blood gets clustered at a particular place and changing the color of that particular area. The pain caused due to blood clots are sky high. This is also referred to as thrombosis. If there is a blood clot inside our veins related or which is connected to calf muscles, it arises the pain and swelling in the calves.
Treatment-related to Calf Pain
Calf pain usually vanishes by some days by certain home remedies, yoga, exercise or some prescribed medication.
- Exercise or stretching can give a relief for calf pain. But stretching and exercise should be practiced when the calf pain has vanished.
- It is advisable to put ice on the swollen part of the calves; ice heals the swelling by giving a soothing effect to that particular area.
- If the pain becomes unbearable, the first priority is to consult a doctor. If the doctor is not available in that particular time, medicines like naproxen can be taken.
- Drink plenty of water.
Calf pain or pain in calves makes you paralyze, it feels like you are not able to move forward and creates a hindrance in your physical and day to day activities. Resting yourself during pain in the calf is not the way to get cure from this pain, but taking preventive measures must be a priority. It is not a critical case but we need to take care as all our organs are interconnected and linked. While taking any pain killers it is recommended to check the dosage. As painkiller vanishes the pain for some time but doesn’t give a long-term soothing effect.
Must Read: Is Blue Waffle Really an STD?
There are can be a number of sources which talks about causes of calf pain and how to treat them, but it always advisable to consult a physician and a doctor. If the calf pain is under treated and preventive measures are not taken ahead, it may weaken our limbs and calf muscles. Calf pain not only causes pain or soreness in the affected area but arise pain and numbness in other areas. The treatment of calf or calves muscles includes various calf tests.