Insomnia cannot be called as a disorder or a dysfunction; rather it is termed as a problem or issue in sleeping. A person who doesn’t have sound or peaceful sleep and cannot complete their sleep tends to suffer from insomnia. Like all other diseases, insomnia is classified as chronic insomnia and acute insomnia.
Explaining in brief about chronic insomnia and acute insomnia below-
· Chronic Insomnia– It is also called as secondary insomnia, and an individual having sleeping issue due stress, depression, anxiety, asthma, and pain in the heart or any other dysfunction or disorder. It lasts for a longer period of time.
· Acute Insomnia– It is also referred to as Primary insomnia which is not directly related to health issues. It is for short span of time.
Different symptoms of Insomnia
Insomnia can be caused for varied reasons and can give rise to certain symptoms which are listed below like-
- Sleepless nights
- Constant fluctuation of sleep during nights.
- Not sleeping at night and waking up too early.
- Tiredness during daytime.
- Difficulty in concentration.
- Loss of memory
· Whole day thinking about the disorder constantly and continuous thinking about how to get a sound sleep.
An average person sleeps approximately up to 8 hours a day. Sleeping 8 hours in a day gives you a healthy lifestyle and a peaceful mind.
Must Read : Is Blue Waffle Really an STD?
But adhering to insomnia there are more than half of the population who takes sleeping pills to avoid an unsound sleep.
Melatonin acts as a sleeping aid for Insomnia patient. Melatonin usually generated in the high amount at early sunrise and gradually drops.
Advantages of Melatonin
· Melatonin is basically a hormone which is made up a gland which is found just in the upper constraint of the middle brain named as the pineal gland.
· Melatonin makes our body realize when it is time for us to sleep and when it is time for us to wake-up.
· There are different melatonin supplements available in the market in form of protein powder, pills and tablets etc which can solve the sleeping problems. There are myths melatonin pills or tablets are often treated as sleeping pills, rather than consuming it people avoid it.
· Other than solving the sleeping disorder, it helps in increasing the eye-sight, heart burn, ulcers etc.
· It acts like antioxidants, which makes you calm and compose before going to sleep.
· It helps in regulation of the temperature of the body, regulates the hormones last but not the least
· It controls the blood pressure: this helps an individual to have a peaceful sleep.
· Melatonin helps us to have a good sleep, but the person who doesn’t have enough melatonin can face the problem of insomnia, as Melatonin helps in keeping the receptors intact, that makes the body relax. And a relaxed body is equivalent to sound, peaceful and undisturbed sleep.
When to consume Melatonin as a sleeping aid to treat Insomnia?
Consuming melatonin is not important, but time cycle we are consuming melatonin is utmost important. If a person is under the medication of melatonin, the person should stop consumption of alcohol, smoking cigarettes, coffee or tea. The person should make a record of woke up time and bed time.
· There is a certain person who wants to have sound sleep during the early morning, and then melatonin consumption should be consumed at night times. It must be taken approximately before 30 minutes of the bedtime.
· People suffering from sleepless night syndrome must take or consume melatonin as per the scheduled bedtime.
· People suffering from advance sleep syndrome, they must consume melatonin after waking up in the morning.
· While consuming melatonin you must keep an eye sufficient amount of light exposure on the opposite side, as it enhances the power of melatonin and provides the desired effective result.
· Melatonin does not have any side effects, but excess consumption of any product is harmful. So, the consumption should not be a habit.
· Melatonin consumption is not advisable for small children as they are in their growing stage, it may affect other hormones and pregnant women should not consume the melatonin as it will disturb the other changing hormones.
· When melatonin is taken in the form of an oral supplement, it tries to reach the maximum blood level and gets concentrated with the blood approximately within 30 to 40 minutes.
How to consume Melatonin as a sleeping aid to treat Insomnia?
There is a proper way to consume any medicines or a proper procedure to undertake any medication. There are following ways for the consumption of melatonin like:
· Melatonin consumption can be started with approximately 0.4 mg- 0.5mg to2.5mg- 3 mg, if you feel like head ache, uneasiness etc there can be a reduction of dosage or consumption of melatonin.
· While taking melatonin, it should be consumed before 2 hours. In short, there must be a gap of two hours in between the consumption of melatonin and bed time.
· If you awake at a middle of the night avoid taking supplements with respect to melatonin.
Melatonin is doesn’t acts like a drug and does not makes you attracted towards it. Although melatonin does not have any side effect and over dosage is not an issue, still, you must consult a doctor before consumption of melatonin.
Melatonin is a good aid for insomnia patient, but when and how to take melatonin must be understood by an individual. When (whether daytime or night time or middle of the night) & How (Dosage before dinner, after lunch or must be consumed in empty stomach), what form it should be consumed like in the form of tablets, pills or supplements. If after consumption of melatonin, still, the problem persists it is advisable and highly recommended to consult a doctor and solve the problem of insomnia.